Psychology Board of Australia - Graduates accepted into a postgraduate psychology program can apply for provisional registration now
Look up a health practitioner


Check if your health practitioner is qualified, registered and their current registration status

Graduates accepted into a postgraduate psychology program can apply for provisional registration now

18 Sep 2023

You can apply online for provisional registration when you have completed your fourth year of psychology study and have been accepted into a fifth-year degree or higher degree pathway.

You will need to choose your pathway for further training before submitting your online application for provisional registration because you will need to select the program and education provider you will be training at.

You must have provisional registration with the Psychology Board of Australia (the Board) before you can start psychology practice in your program.

Easy steps to apply online

  1. Create your account using the online services portal and complete your application
  2. Upload your documents and pay the required fees. Check that you have provided all required documents to prove you’ve met the registration standards, including certified copies of your photo ID.
  3. Wait for your education provider to provide your graduate results and enrolment listing to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra).

Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander graduates – Need help to apply?

A new Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Engagement and Support team (the support team) was recently established and is staffed by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Part of the support team’s role is to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants through the registration process, including new graduates.

It provides a one-on-one service ranging from providing helpful tips for navigating the registration process to regular phone contact, updates on relevant work being done in the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme around cultural safety and advice on disclosures made on registration applications (for example, about impairments) that may require consideration by the Board.

The support team is committed to helping you get registered promptly so you can start making vital contributions to safe healthcare and to your communities. If, after reading the handy hints below, you would still like help with your application for registration, please email the support team at

Handy hints to help you apply

Get your application right

You’ll find helpful advice, tips for avoiding common causes of delay and downloadable information flyers on the graduate applications page of the Ahpra website.

Get your photo ID certified correctly

It's important that you provide correctly certified photo ID documents with your application – the wording is specific:

‘I certify that this is a true copy of the original and the photograph is a true likeness of the person presenting the document as sighted by me.’

To get it right the first time, download the guide ‘Certifying documents’ and take it with you to the authorised officer. For the full list of authorised officers see the guide.

In addition to a Justice of the Peace, most registered health practitioners, public servants, teachers, lecturers and members of the legal profession can certify photographic ID documents.

What do I need to do for provisional registration?

When you apply for provisional registration, your application is carefully assessed against the Board’s requirements for registration, which includes meeting the following registration standards:

  • English language skills, and
  • professional indemnity insurance.

You also need to:

  • tell us about any criminal history
  • declare any health impairments that may affect your ability to practise, and
  • upload details of your postgraduate program with your application.

Pathways for further training

Provisional psychologists undertake the fifth and sixth years of psychology training through one of the approved pathways which lead to general registration:

  • 5+1 internship program, or
  • higher degree program (Masters or Doctorate professional qualification).

You should choose your pathway for further training before applying online for provisional registration because you will need to submit information that is specific to the pathway you choose.

How long does it take to get registered?

We aim to finalise your application within two weeks of receiving your graduate results and enrolment listing. This assumes you have submitted a complete application.

When you are registered, we will publish your name to the Register of practitioners.

For more information
  • For registration enquiries or difficulties with the online application form, contact us by making a web enquiry or by calling 1300 419 495 (within Australia).


Page reviewed 18/09/2023