Board approved supervisors can be approved to provide supervision in any one or more of the following Board-approved supervision programs:
- 4+2 internship program (principal and secondary supervisor)
- 5+1 internship program (principal and secondary supervisor)
- Board-approved, accredited higher degree programs
- a registrar program leading to endorsement in an approved area of practice (principal and secondary supervisor), or
- professional higher degree placements
Board approved supervisors can request approval to provide supervision in an additional supervisor program to what you are currently approved to provide (e.g. adding a supervisor type) at any time. Please be aware that supervisors in different programs are required to meet different criteria and you must meet the requirements of the supervisor type you wish to add to your suite of approvals. The Guidelines for supervisors and supervisor training providers outlines the requirements for supervisors for each supervision program.
For example, if you are already a Board approved secondary supervisor for the registrar program and now you meet the requirements and want to become a principal supervisor as well, you can ask to have it added to your existing supervisor record. You are not required to make a new application (e.g. ABAS-76 form), however you must provide a written request to AHPRA using the online web enquiry or post.
Your request should state the following:
- which additional supervisor type/s you want to add, specifying the pathway (e.g. 4+2 internship, higher degree program etc.),
- whether you are requesting to be an approved principal or secondary supervisor (applicable to supervisors of internships and registrar programs only),
- the area of practice endorsement you hold (applicable to supervisors of registrar programs and higher degree placements only).
If you have previously given permission to appear as an ‘available’ supervisor (i.e. available to be contacted at your nominated supervisor email address via the secure web messaging system) this permission will also be applied to the additional supervisor type. If you want to change whether you are ‘available’ or ‘not available’ you can request this in writing when requesting to add the supervisor type, or at any other time.
Board approved supervisors can only provide supervision in the Board approved program in which they hold the relevant supervisor type. For example, if you are approved for the 5+1 internship program you may provide supervision to supervisee undertaking the 5+1 internship program. Supervision provided outside of the approval process cannot be counted towards the supervisee’s supervision program.
You are not required to complete additional supervisor training to add a supervisor type to an existing supervisor record. Supervisor training is required to be undertaken every five years to maintain approval regardless of whether you add a supervisor type within this approval cycle. The current expiry date of your Board-approved supervisor status will remain the same:
- five years after the date you last completed supervisor training, or
- 30 June 2018 if you became a Board-approved supervisor before 1 July 2013 under the Board’s transition provisions.
For more information on the Board’s training requirements please see the Guidelines for supervisors and supervisor training providers.